Monday, February 8, 2010

My Teaching Philosophy

Why do I teach? Growing up, my teachers in school provided me with much more positive feedback than my parents. I came to enjoy participating in school and school activities. It felt like home, and I was safe there. When I reflect on my childhood experiences, it does not surprise me that I became a teacher. I love learning, but also standing up in front of people gives me a high. When students are engaged and respond with enthusiasm, I become their cheerleader. I teach to encourage students to explore in a safe environment. I teach adults because their rich histories provide a jumping off point to further their education. My father always said “Knowledge is the one think no one can take away from you”. He was right.
My love of holistic health makes it my favorite subject to teach. Teaching people to care about the body, realize it is wise and especially to listen to what the body says, is extremely important. There are many alternative therapies to conventional medicine. People feel empowered when they realize they have a choice about their own healthcare. As a facilitator, I present new opportunities and paths to consider. As a role model, I inspire students to open their minds.
I teach the way I learn. Actively. I am a hands-on learner. I can memorize information for a test, but I have not assimilated that into real learning. I need my body and hands involved to access my brain. I believe the more a person utilizes all the senses, the more she will incorporate into her being. I found the book Promoting Active Learning: Strategies for the College Classroom by Meyers and Jones during my Masters in Adult Education. I really related to this book. A great quote from it is “… students learn not by just absorbing content (taking copious notes and studying for exams), but by critically analyzing, discussing, and using content in meaningful ways.” I agree. Adults want to share their experiences. My goal is to engage students using group discussions, projects, research papers, games, and roll play. My new goal is to add You Tube, videos and blogs to my teaching.
When students return, days to years later, stating that they became a professional in alternative healthcare, or are thanking me for something I said in class that changed a major situation in their lives, then I know my methods for teaching and learning are effective. The power of information changes peoples’ lives for the better. I am proud to be part of making that difference.

2 comments: