Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My First Wiki

I have officially been bitten by the wiki bug. I am so excited I can’t stand it. Now that I have read and understand wikis. I will use one in my new class Complementary and Alternative Health Therapies. The class wiki can be found at http://alternativehealththerapies.wikispaces.com/. As I am designing the wiki, I will begin with a page for each topic, which is each class session. Examples would be a page for massage therapy, Reiki, acupuncture, yoga, and meditation. The text will be very similar to my power point presentation. My plan is that students will need to read the page before class so we can have discussion in the classroom. I will also include movie and youtube videos. The class wiki will also have a link to the class blog.
Each student will research an alternative health topic of her choice and write a paper. The student will place a link to the research articles or journals used on the appropriate wiki page. We will add pages as needed. Students will also be encouraged to participate in the wiki, but adding or updating information they find from their research papers and add it to the wiki.
I am still debating whether or not to put the entire syllabus in the wiki or leave it on blackboard. I am thrilled about the opportunity to use wikis in my new class. I hope it will inspire students to contribute factual, useful, though provoking information to the web. I also hope that increased critical thinking communication is a wonderful by-product.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about Wikis too and I love yours. You say you want to take my class, but I really want to take yours. I'm sure it will be too packed for us faculty to get in, but maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete